I had the media Dept. come by today to get of shot of my kids in action for the website. The problem was we were cleaning the kitchen today. So I quickly put together a little demonstration and the filming began. The had three of the students prepare chicken fried chicken and a cream gravy to go with it. These were culinary one students and they had never done it before, but they did an excellent job. I got some pictures of the process so I figured I would post it up on here for everyone to give a try.
Chicken Fried Chicken
- 2 chicken breast
- 2 C flour
- TT salt, pepper and garlic ( for flour, egg wash and chicken)
- 2 C butter milk
- 2 eggs
- Set up breading station. one pan flour, one pan egg and milk wash with seasonings and one with seasoned flour.
- Trim breast and pound to an even thickness. (use a rolling-pin to pound the breast)
- Season chicken breast.
- Cover with flour in first pan.
- Dip in the egg wash.
- Place in third pan and coat with seasoned flour. Press hard on the flour and chicken to coat well.
- Place breast in skillet of hot oil to cook. The oil should be deep enough to cover 2/3rds of the chicken breast.
- Cook until golden brown. The chicken should reach 165 degrees.
- 1/4 C Flour
- 2 Tbl Chicken drippings
- 2 C Milk
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place oil and flour in skillet heat and mix to form roux. (for a proper roux mix equal parts of fat to flour by weight)
- Stir and heat roux until desired color is obtained. The longer you cook the darker it will become. (heating the flour will get rid of the raw flour taste in your gravy)
- Add cold milk and stir rapidly untill the mixture is thickened and smooth.
- Add seasonings.