One thing would never grow up was grits. Well these are not my mama’s grits. They are surely upscale and full of flavor that your normal grits can only hope to be. One reason for the great flavor is because I use chicken broth and cream to make the grits instead of water. Then I add fire roasted poblano peppers, fresh garlic and sweet onions. These grits were a great accompaniment with some sautéed shrimp and a grilled rib eye. Try these grits, especially if you think you don’t like grits. They will change your mind.
- 1 cup quick grits
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 poblano peppers roasted and diced
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 4oz cheddar cheese
- 4oz monterey jack cheese
- TT salt pepper and Tony Chachere”s
- Saute onions in butter, add peppers and garlic about midway of the onions becoming translucent.
- Add chicken broth and cream and bring to a simmer.
- Gradually whisk in the grits and seasonings.
- After grits thicken stir in the cheese.
I served the grits with sautéed shrimp, that were cooked with slivers of onion and Anaheim chilies. the entrée was a grilled rib eye. The grits were and excellent addition to this surf and turf meal.